Friday, August 31, 2007

Moving Forward



I have the theme to Chariots of Fire running through my head. It's an inspiring anthem that seems to have withstood some test of time, since it is over 25 years old. But having it stuck in my head has actually caused me to reflect on the direction my life is taking. Do I want to be a runner in the Olympics? No. But I do want to be better at the things I can do well, the talents I have. And I would like to develop new talents that may be lying dormant. I want to be an ordinary person living an extraordinary life. You know, the kind of person they make inspirational movies about.
However, it is easy to say that I want to be better. In fact, I say it all the time, probably everyday. What is it that takes the desire and turns it into into action? Because I have to be honest with you, I have experienced many failures, many goals not completed, many tasks undone. On the otherhand, I am happy. I am healthy (unless you count the roll of cookie dough I just ate). My needs are met. I am content. I am able to take care of my family and give them what they need. So maybe right now is not the right time for me to be making huge goals and becoming obsessed with accomplishing them. Maybe it's the right time to try to be a little better each day and get the important things done. Maybe just being happy is extraordinary.

2 comments:

XANA-DIVA-DELUX said...

The Techno version of this may light a fire in your chariot...otherwise being happy is a greater accomplishment than most of the populice. Good for you, what kind of cookie dough?

Winder said...

I think just being happy day to day is a major accomplishment. As for the cookie dough I am jealous. I would love to feel good enough to down some of that. We usually get what we want in time, and I really wanted to be pregnant. Now I work on enduring each day and being happy I got what I wanted.